Wednesday, December 2, 2009



(Revised from previous post for my transfer essay)

From my transitional summer from high school to college, I've learned something about life. Life is a lot like Poker, Texas Hold’em. Everyone is dealt a hand. Some people are dealt good hands, some bad, some just okay. The thing is that no matter what’s on the line, anyone can walk away with the winnings. The person that has to bluff his way through it the entire game to win still has a shot. Not saying that people should lie their way through life, if that's what you're thinking. Some people just don't understand the art of bluffing.

Bluffing is pretending you have something you don't or pretending you don't have something as good as you do. It’s not lying, it’s like flirting. The lie is mutual, everyone assumes you are lying. Bluffing also requires you to convince yourself that you know what your opponent has in his hand and whatever you have is always better. This takes skill. It requires you to sometimes even forget the rules of the game and take a risk.

Bluffing in life, you have to forget the rules sometimes and risk it by going all in. It is not a big deal to lose it all because leaving with half filled pockets and wondering what would have happened is a lot worse than leaving with empty pockets, knowing there is nothing you could have done but at least you tried. Personally, I'd rather walk away from a table with all or nothing. When I walk away with nothing, it would actually feel like I’m walking away with everything. I’m a superhero when I risk it all. No one can touch me because I am someone that has risked it all and not many people can say they have.

In the game of life, I feel I'm dealt a jack and ten of spades. On the flop there is the ace of spades, jack of hearts, and eight of diamonds. The possibility of me hitting a flush is still possible and I already have hit the jack. In order to have the best hand by the time all the cards are on the table, I'd say I have a good forty percent chance. Even if I don't have the winning hand by then, the pot can still be mine and that is all I need to know to live an exciting, adventurous, and fun life. Anything is possible. I live a life full of the risks I take, the winnings and the loss. People say life isn't about luck or the cards I am dealt. I say it is how I play my hand and just a little bit of luck.

No comments: